Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Monday Question 4/8

Part One:
What do you think is the purpose or goal of an academic conference? Why does the McMaster Symposium exist? Who do you think attends and what do you think they do while at the symposium?

 In my opinion, the purpose of the academic conference is to teach us about the different opportunities that the McMaster program has to offer. On Wednesday, the professors and students going to different countries for the McMaster program will be giving us updates and more information about these different countries and how they were involved. To be honest, I'm not sure what the symposium's on Thursday relate to or how they relate to the McMaster program. I have never invested time to knowing anything about the McMaster program so I'm not sure what it is all about.
The McMaster Symposium exists, I think, to let people in on exactly what the McMaster program is about. There are plenty of people on this campus who aren't sure exactly what it is about or what it does, so attending this symposium will get us interested in the program. I am one of those people that are going to learn something from this because I know very little.
Obviously the AH120 classes are going to be attending the symposium, but I think a majority of professors, faculty, and students will be attending. The AH120 classes will be there, probably to pass the class, to observe and take notes. Others, attending freely, will be enjoying and really taking in what the speakers are saying. For the most part, I think that this experience is going to be a positive influence for anyone attending, whether by force or willingly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about what you think this conference is about. I just think that you keep repeating yourself, but that is easy to do when writing about something that you are not totally sure about. Otherwise, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I don't think that there are a lot of people on campus that know about what the conference is about, but I think that after they go, they will have a better understanding of what it is.

    ReplyDelete